Garden Rules & Etiquette
- Please stay on the path at all times. The garden is not meant to be strolled through like a park; wandering off path will damage the plants and landscaping.
- Walk – do not run through the garden.
- Please do not litter.
- DO NOT pick any flowers or leaves.
- DO NOT stand on the rocks or grass.
- DO NOT feed the fish or birds.
- The following are NOT ALLOWED inside the garden: Pets, strollers, tables, chairs, food, beverages. (Bottled water is OK.)
- All children under the age of 12 must be supervised by an adult (over the age of 21).
- Flat shoes are recommended. High heeled shoes should only be worn while taking pictures and not while walking in the garden.
- Please be considerate of one another. Be mindful of the time spent taking photos in one given area so that others may have an opportunity to take photos as well.
*In the event of inclement weather, the Garden will close for 24 – 36 hours, if rain occurs during this timeframe or during the event, the Garden will be closed and we will offer full refunds.
- Please use your best judgement when taking photos and respect the Garden environment as possible. We ask that you maintain a PG rating content in the garden and all photos are subject to staff’s evaluation.
- If a staff member feels you are out of the boundaries of our photo rules, you may be asked to stop, erase the photo(s) and/or exit the Garden.
Please keep in mind
- Filming and photographic activities can in no way impede other’s enjoyment of, or access to, any part of the Garden.
- Monopods and tripods (including light stands) are permitted as long as they adhere to the aforementioned rule and are not heavy enough to indent the pathways or garden grounds.
- Walking or placing equipment or persons on the landscaped areas (which include the dry garden and pebble beaches) is prohibited.
- Plants may not be moved, cut, or handled in any way.
- The Japanese Garden is a City of Van Nuys-owned public garden and your adherence to these guidelines is required.
If you have any questions please stop by the gift shop or the registration area.